Saturday, December 17, 2005

Priorities and Miracles

Blog?  Study?  Blog?  Study?...  Lauren, what are you thinking!  Get your priorities straight!   BLOG!

A strange think has been happening the last week or two.  The fingerprints of God have returned.  In my world, the fingerprints of God are just little “coincidences.”  Most of the time it’s something like looking at the time when it’s exactly 1:23 or 3:45 or a somehow otherwise numerically significant time.  These fingerprints are a method God has used a number of times in my life to communicate, “Hey, this is me.  I’m in this.  I’ve got it all under control.”  When it started, I wasn’t quite sure why.  Then after about two days, I suddenly realized, “Something’s about to happen!”  Sure enough, something did happen.

Something else.  This summer I bought my parents’ ’87 Mercury Grande Marquis to replace the ’83 Grande Marquis I had bought from them five years earlier which had achieved a significant state of decay.  When I bought the ’87 the transmission was slow in shifting from drive to overdrive, but when I got the ’83, it was doing the same thing and we solved the problem by changing tranny fluid.  Doing the same to the ’87, I hoped for the best.  About 6 weeks ago, the transmission problem became significantly worse and… noisy.  Transmission noises, as I’m sure you know, are always a good sign.  Ok, maybe not.  To top it off, two or three weeks ago, my car simply refused to start.  I drove it into the garage at night, and the next morning, the battery was completely dead.  I put a fresh battery in, and the next morning, it too was completely dead.  When I checked things out, my alternator too was humming a merry tune, and refusing to charge in an appropriate manner.  Right now I get around the problem by disconnecting my battery every time I shut my car off for any length of time.  Oh great.  I’m living on a -$200/month budget and I’m supposed to replace my alternator and do a tranny overhaul?  Right.  I’m better off selling the car.  But… now that there are nasty mechanical issues, I won’t get hardly anything for it.

So I pray, “God, please provide.”  The next day, I drive my car into a tree, totaling it off.  Insurance values my car at $150 more than I paid for it this summer.  And since I decided to finally put the Package policy on it a couple of months ago with a $200 deductible, SGI will be paying me $50 less than what I paid my dad for the car this summer.  I figure that works out to about twice what I would have gotten if I had tried selling it now.

That’s not all.  Totaling my Grande Marquis means the return of a dream.  I now have money to winterize Serah, my ’71 VW Bug, and start driving her again.  I have many stories about Serah, so I’m not going to get into them… much.  Other than, she’s a miracle car.  And when I named her “Serah” I thought I was making the name up, only to find out later when a biblically knowledgeable dude was trying to read my personalized plates in Hebrew, that serah is actually a Hebrew word meaning “abundance,” is the name of one of Jacob’s granddaughters, and as I hope you have gathered, the name Joshua gave to his inheritance in the promised land (timnath meaning “inheritance”).  Makes ya think, doesn’t it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home